6 Simple Things You Can Do For Your Loved One Who is Living in a Senior Living Facility During Covid-19
During the continuing COVID-19 pandemic, we want to remember our loved ones in senior living care facilities. Here are six simple things you can do to brighten the lives of those who can't share your home celebrations this year.
1. Send a holiday floral bouquet. Greenery, bright ribbons and flowers are a perfect way to remind someone that you are thinking of them even though you can't be together. (Remember to be careful of allergies, as the arrangement may be in a confined space.)
2. Get your household together to make a video or have a Zoom or Face Time chat with your loved one in the senior living facility. (Don't forget the family pet!) If your special person isn't computer savvy, check with a friend or neighbor. Our community, who knows how much residents need personal contact, are often willing to help with technology.
3. Put together a small booklet or album with favorite pictures of holidays past. Write brief comments about ornaments, memories of holiday programs, those special hand-knit sweaters, or gifts that delighted. (Make sure the booklet is lightweight and manageable for senior hands.)
4. Phone at a pre-arranged time and encourage your special friend to sing a holiday song or recite a meaningful scripture or poem along with you.
5. Don't forget that your loved one may be especially sad this holiday season. Not being with family and facing so much that is unknown can cause "blue" holidays. Acknowledge those sad feelings and remind your loved one that you share them.
6. Consider investigating Home Health Services. Residence 600 can assist with this. Medicare pays 100% of Home Health expenses and can help tremendously with depression, anxiety, daily exercise, failure-to-thrive situations, etc.
No one knows your loved one as well as you and your family, so put your heads and hearts together to find unique ways of expressing love in these unique times. Your own holidays will be brighter as you fill someone else's life with love, light and hope.
600 E. Elm
Salina KS 67401
Write something about yourself. No need to be fancy, just an overview.